Saturday, May 08, 2010

Can Maurice Hinchey be beaten this November?

With the growth of anti-incumbent sentiment, this is the year to do it.

His prospective Republican opponent is George Phillips, and he'll be in the area on Monday, May 10 for a fundraiser. From the announcement:
The event will be held from 6 pm to 8 pm at Fred's Place Restaurant 11 Lohmaier Lane in Lake Katrine, NY.

George will be giving remarks around 7 pm.

The phone number for the restaurant is 845-383-3883. Light refreshments will be served and a cash bar will be available.
If not now, when?

2 comments:

Dan K. said...

I have been wondering the same thing lately. I've visited Phillips' web site a few times (including two years ago when he first ran)and he seems like a pretty conservative guy. I know he has been somewhat involved in the Tea Party movement which is nice as well.
As for Hinchey: the guys got a plethora of sound bites and the like which could be used heavily against him. (See link below) That would require an excellent campaign staff and lots of cash though. The big problem is Cornell, Binghamton and our own New Paltz. Do you think campaigning in these areas would be hopeful? I sure as hell hope so I guess I'm just being a pessimist. Here's hoping.

LINK:

This is a link

Martin McPhillips said...

I think that there are grass roots conservatives all around Ithaca (I went to high school up around there), Binghampton, and New Paltz. Reagan Democrat types. People who generally pay less attention to politics until they realize that they are being robbed by government or sold out and start voting with an eye to getting rid of anyone who looks like a slick hustler. And if Hinchey doesn't look and talk like a slick hustler, I don't know who does.