Saturday, May 15, 2010

How annoying can I be?

Very.

Yesterday I got one of the pikers who run the Kingston Freeman quite pissed at me.

Some background. I will occasionally leave comments on stories or editorials or blog posts at their website. Started doing that about nine months or so ago.

One of their regular comment-makers (who is not involved in the thread in question) is a ridiculous bigot who hates Christians and a half-dozen other categories of people and rants on irrationally saying the same thing in the same manner day after day. I have wondered whether or not the Freeman management tolerates him because he puts an ugly stink on their comment sections in general. My sense is that the editors are not really comfortable with comments, and I understand that much. But letting this one guy have his way with the comment threads diminishes the experience of both reading and posting comments. Perhaps he gets away with it because he's not attacking any favored liberal groups, and the Freeman editors are very liberal, with that mixture of naivete and self-righteousness that so endears liberals to non-liberals.

So yesterday I made an initial comment on the first of the three editorials from "around the world" that the Freeman editors ran as their daily editorial.

My first comment is about the substance of the first excerpt, having to do with terrorists and Miranda warnings, but I began my comment like this, "The Boston Globe editorial, which you implicitly endorse by running it..." The idea that the Freeman editors were endorsing an editorial from another paper that the Freeman editors were running as that day's editorial was too much for the Freeman "Webmaster."

You can go read the series of comments exchanged between me and the "Webmaster" if you're interested, but the funny thing is that they didn't want me to have the last word and refused to run my final comment. They were thin-skinned enough to zotz my comment, which is why I described above the constantly obnoxious and offensive character who they have no problem with.

And this was my final comment, which probably won't make complete sense without reading the rest of the exchange, but I want to record it for posterity:
Yeah, I suppose if you take away categories, logic, and meaning, and go by your say-so, then I'm incorrect.

Otherwise, my explanation that the title category "Editorial" does indeed mean "Editorial" on Friday, just as it did on Thursday, is obviously correct and as analytically secure as "all bachelors are unmarried."
Yeah, just a real pain in the ass when the invincibly ignorant catch me on the wrong day.

No comments: